The Deadly Side Effects of Smoking

The Deadly Side Effects of Smoking
Do you smoke or know somebody that smokes? I have smoked for 10 years of my life. It sounds like a very long time not that I think about it, yet every time a friend or relative brought up that it is a bad habit I looked the other way. I was told in school that cigarettes consisted of a lot of poisons and chemicals but I was just as addicted to them as the next smoker. I remember having to go to the doctor for a chronic cough which I had developed over the last year. While I was waiting in the lobby I came across a small orange booklet which just said "QUIT" with huge while letters across it. I opened it up and that lead to the moment of me deciding to quit for good. I stumbled across 8 horrible facts about the effects of smoking on a regular smoker just like myself.
The list began with heart disease. Smoking has been proven to increase my chances of a heart attack to five times higher than normal. Cigarettes alone are responsible for over 20% of heart attack related deaths. Next was cancer, which is by far the most well-known side effect to smoking this concoction of poisons. An astonishing 85% of all cases of lung cancer have been caused due to smoking. The list had not even begun to scare me yet and it went on to include: Dementia and neurologic diseases, lung disease, female infertility and pregnancy, male sexuality and reproduction (contributor to impotence), behavioural and social problems due to second-hand smoke as well as impaired bones and joins. I needed to quit smoking and I needed to do it fast. In addition to all of the physical and mental side effects of smoking there are also a lot of nuisances associated with this bad habit. My most hated one is the constant smelling of smoke, clothes, furniture even walls all smell like cigarettes. Some other issues arise from smoking such as lowered sense of smell and taste, premature aging, social pressures, finding a partner who is not against the habit, increased infections during scrapes and bruises and finally the cost. I make an average income and the money I spend towards buying a pack of smokes a day is reaching deep into my pockets. I managed to quit smoking cold turkey and have been smoke free for over 5 months.
I hope this article is able to help anyone who is struggling with getting motivated to quit smoking. For more help visit my website: http://quitsmokingyourself.com


Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/7728463
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...